Thursday 28 April 2011

Rice a la Greque

When my rice cooker arrived, naturally the first thing I wanted to do was play with it! I looked through the recipe book (forty-two recipes, many of them delicious and surprisingly complex) and cooed over how exciting it was. I read the instruction manual from cover to cover. Then I made... plain brown rice.

Well, sometimes the meals have already been planned and you just have to go with it.

Today, however, I decided to make something exciting! I really wanted to try oatmeal, because I've never had much porridge and some of the recipes I've got sound delicious. However, an argument over whether or not the oats we have are instant, and whether or not that would ruin the recipe, put that plan on the back burner for a while.

Instead, I made rice a la Greque for my lunch, except I swapped the red pepper for tomatoes (no red peppers) and the chicken stock for vegetable stock (never any chicken stock). It was nice, but like the brown rice the night before it wasn't cooked enough for my taste. More water than suggested appears to be the order of the day.

Tomorrow I'll try something else, and if I can track down a working camera I'll take photos of the leftover rice and whatever else I make. Some time next week I will even get to make oatmeal, once we've bought some definitely-normal-and-not-fast-cooking oats.

No comments:

Post a Comment